If you're wondering why there's been no news on the Exploding Arm CancerTM*, it's because we're basically in a holding pattern. Our Exploding Arm Cancer Doc, because of the rarity, doesn't trust anyone but his pathologists to give him a clear picture of what we're dealing with. Fair enough, says I. So far this has been looked at by no fewer than four TEAMS of pathologists. There's bits of me growing in labs in three states now.
That DOES make me slightly edgy in terms of delay. It's still in my fricking arm, but I'm sure that they wouldn't leave it in there unless there was damn good reason to. Basically, if they take it out and it turns out they should have done something first, they're going to have put us far further behind than if we wait another few weeks. We're still operating under the assumption that it's only going to be a slash and stitch job, and that this'll be done early next year, but it just depends what the final pathology turns up. Unfortunately it looks like this hasn't been seen before in every doctor who has seen it so far.
So, we're basically at Hurry Up And Wait. Most days - unless it's a day where my arm is incredibly itchy or we're expecting results back - I forget about it. The fact that I know we've got the very best looking into it, and I've got the best chaserer-upperer in the business fielding the phone calls in Jeremy means I've been able to be pretty chill about it. After all, they wouldn't be leaving it in there if there was a danger to my health beyond the obvious.
*Exploding Arm Cancer is Jeremy's name for it. Personally, I've found it helps to make as light of it as we hope it will be. Particularly when it's incredibly itchy or gets sore, which can be worrying. Since there was no margin we're also operating at the assumption that it's still in there since my Doc only took out what looked like a cyst, and it's highly unlikely that got it all, but as we caught it so early we can afford to be conservative in terms of treatment.
20 hours ago