Tuesday, April 06, 2010

A big shovel load of credit

Usually, I am not Herald Sun columnist Susie O'Briens biggest fan. Usually, I find the pieces she writes factless and vacuous.

Today, she has totally blown me away with this piece on Refugees and the hyperbole that surrounds the issue. 

I'm not going to say much about it, because she's already said everything I would say myself. But I will quote the ending, as it sums up my position on Australia's refugee intake nicely;

"People, let's get some perspective. These facts have been missing, and all we're getting is tough, empty talk by men wanting to win elections.


We should not, and must not, apologise for treating the world's most disadvantaged people with compassion. And don't forget that it is never illegal for a person to enter our country - via land or sea - in search of freedom from persecution. In fact, it's our responsibility as a stable, wealthy land.
If we are going to have a debate, let's debate facts, not the fear-based fantasy."
She backs up that position by doing her research into the actual numbers and the issues behind them. I could not be more impressed.

1 comment:

newswithnipples said...

Hi Keri,
I'm also in the not-Susie-O'Brien's-biggest-fan fan club (if that garbled phrase works), but on this I do have to agree with her: we are indeed all being conned by men in suits who want to win elections. I think this year is going to be an ugly one, with a federal election based on which party says they can keep the most foreigners out. Sigh. Here we go again.