Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Why do they need to be perfect?

A few thoughts from this debacle.

Basically, MP allegedly has affair with younger woman. MP is accused of letting younger woman through security without signing in, another MP is said to have offered her a job.

Let's assume the last two aren't true. Just as a hypothetical. Would he still have resigned? Would we still expect him to? Would it still be a scandal? And why?

I cannot fathom in this day and age when everyone knows someone who's been cheated on - or have been cheated on themselves - or has been the one to cheat, why we expect our elected officials to be "above" the same foibles and flaws we ourselves have been subject to. And is that a good thing?

Think about it: If every man and woman who had cheated on their partner lost their jobs as a result, there'd be chaos. How many people would be without a job?

Personally, I want my elected representatives to be human. I want them to make mistakes. I want them to be the kind of person fit to govern a country, yes, but how does being unfaithful to your wife preclude you from being so? If the job my parlimentarian is doing is a good one, is the rest of it make-or-break?

Making mistakes - even ones that hurt other people - does not make you a bad person. It does not make our elected representatives bad people. It simply makes them human.

And we could do with a bit more of that in government, if you ask me.

11 comments:

Aussie Unionist said...

Good points. It's not as if the guy campaigned on a morals platform or anything like that. If that was the case he'd have to resign because of massive hypocrisy.

I don't think it matters what the ALP in NSW does now. They're goners!

Jeremy said...

Even then I wouldn't agree that it's all that relevant - just because he's flawed doesn't mean what he's advocating is wrong. The merits of what someone's proposing aren't altered by whether they live up to them or not, although obviously it would undermine the argument if he was bolstering it with an appeal to his own virtue.

Keri said...

I think it dilutes the message, though, Jeremy.

Not said...

Here's the thing. When an MP, MLC or Senator takes his/her seat they swear or affirm an oath.
They are expected, by the people who thy swore the oath to, to keep the oath.
When a man or a woman marries, they also swear an oath. They are expected, by the person they swore the oath to, to keep that oath as well.

Someone who cheats on his/her family, in other words they break their oath, cheats on the very people closest to them. The people who relly on them most of all to keep their oathes.

If someone shows such scant respect for the oathes that they make to the paople closest to them, then why should we continue to expect them to continue to keep any oath that they have made to us? After all they don't even know us do they?

Keri said...

I can understand that, Not. I know that someone who cheats on a partner is breaking an oath or a promise made. I get that. If it's not an open relationship, of course.

What I don't understand is that if we expect to be able to forgive each other for those same transgressions, why is it so unforgivable in a public figure?

And is it a one-strike-and-you're-out kind of thing? Does a personal transgression mean they can never be a good and moral public servant?

I don't think that's the case.

Keri said...

Jimbo, have I not made myself crystal clear? Your comments are not welcome here, regardless of their content. I do not allow comments from liars and filth. You fit both categories. Piss off.

Keri said...

Please, Jimbo. You think if you write things elsewhere about my partner that are total fucking lies - gutlessly expressing them as co-incidence - it means you get any quarter here?

How can I make this any clearer? Your comments are not welcome here.They will not be published.

Keri said...

You're a fucking liar, Jimbo.

First, you have no proof that any information was passed on. I've got an e-mail account that I've literally never used - never sent an e-mail from, never signed up to anything with and it STILL got spam.

Secondly, even if it WAS someone from Grods (Which it wasn't), you have absolutely no proof it was Jeremy.

Until you do, fuck off. Oh, and comment moderation is being turned on, so good luck spamming my posts, wanker.

Kartar said...

And to be totally flippant - if you were married to Belinda Neal an affair might seem like sweet relief... :P

*bad James*

TMM said...

Sorry. Cheating on your wife/husband does make you a bad person. Get divorced first or hey, don't get married in the first place.

You do make some good points, however, if they have chosen the role of leadership in the public arena, they should be responsible/smart enough to not dig such holes for themselves.

I love how power couples will just stay together. Like Bill and Hillary... *Ralf.*

Keri said...

TMM - I'm not sure it's that cut and dried. Does cheating - once, obviously someone who is a serial cheat is different - make someone a bad person or can they be a good person who has done a bad thing?

I agree that you end a relationship before starting a new one - sexual or otherwise - but to slate someone as a bad person on the strength of one act? I don't think it's that cut and dry.