Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Same sex, Same rights.

August 1 is a National Day of Action for Same-Sex Marriage.

You can make submissions on why rights in regards to same-sex marriage are important to you (Or not, if you're opposed, I guess) to the Senate Inquiry into the Marriage Equality Amendment Bill 2009. A link to Equal Love's Online Submission form is here.

And here is my submission:

"I write to express my support for the Marriage Equality Amendment Bill 2009.

The definition and tradition of marriage in Australia and most of the Western world has changed in the last century. 58 percent of Australians now believe that it is time for change. It is time to remove the discrimination in the Marriages Act 1961.

Law has always kept pace with the morals and attitudes of society. A majority of Australians no longer believe that discrimination
should exist within the Marriage Act 1961, and that everyone, regardless of sexuality and gender identity should be afforded the same rights to have their marriage and relationships acknowledged by the Commonwealth.

In most areas of law, same-sex relationships are afforded the same rights and responsibilities as a heterosexual relationship.
Centrelink - a Government department - now recognises (and penalises) couples of the same-sex.

When even government departments have kept pace with the attitudes and morals of society, it is time to ensure that attitude in regards to removing discrimination is carried through all sectors of legislation.

Same-sex marriages WILL be legal in this country at some stage. Whether that happens under this proposed amendment or the next is up to you. You can choose to do what a majority of Australians would have you do as their elected representative, or we can acquiesce once again to the demands of a minority opinion steeped in discriminatory thinking and baseless prejudice.

There is no sound, logical reason for the discrimination against same-sex couples to continue under the Marriage Act 1961. I implore you, do what is right, and what is just."


We elect representatives to carry our voices to the Senate and various Houses of Parliament. Sometimes, that isn't enough. Make your voice heard.

EDIT: Changed the wording of "union" to "marriage" in the third last paragraph.

2 comments:

victor said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
__________________
victor
Increase your brand popularity overnight

Aussie Unionist said...

I also wrote a submission but mine was shorter. I cannot remember exactly what I wrote but it was something along the lines that I believed gay people have just as much of a right as straight people to ruin their lives by getting married and shouldn't be denied this opportunity!