Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Minor Crowing

Sorry boys, no recession:

"Strictly speaking, the Australian economy just grew by 0.1% in the September quarter, kept in the black mostly by the recovery in rural Australia from the terrible drought of the past couple of years (which remains in much of the country).

The news means that those economists tipping negative growth like Goldman Sachs JBWere missed. But there is no joy whatsoever from these figures except that there are better times in some parts of regional Australia with higher grain harvests forecast"

Glenn Dyer

What will come next March with the December figures I need to have a think about and peruse the figures before making a prediction. I'm not sure what to do with predicted Christmas spending.

In the next few days, I'll make my call.

6 comments:

Domino said...

It'll suck if that whole crisis things reaches the stores...the small ones are always the best and the first to go.

dam buster said...

The whole crisis ha scertainly hit a few friends. especially ones in the financial sector. A couple of redundancies already. Another friend at Holden has had his team halved.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Access Economics, the Government and the Reserve Bank are anxiously awaiting your call.

What formal economic training do you have again?

;)

Keri said...

Domino - In the current climate, the small, well run business' will actually do fairly well. You'l notice the big business' will have done worse at the moment.

DB - Which is why I got out of the financial sector a year ago.

Anonymous - Provide your email address and I'll be happy to provide you with my qualifications.

Anonymous said...

lol @ moderation policy

Keri said...

Lol?

Well, that puts me in my place.