Sunday, November 09, 2008

Shut up and let me go

I do have a habit, it must be said, of picking up a band, listening to a song or album until the words, notes and time signature become an indelible part of my psyche, or purchasing a bands entire back-catologue on the strength of whatever i've heard late one night on Rage or MTV.

If you've ever been near me when Third Eye Blind's self-titled album has been playing, you'll know I'm not bullshitting. I've listened, sung (and with some songs, strummed) those songs so often, i'd know those versions far better than the band ever will.

I'm rapidly approaching that point of repetition with The Presets and the Ting Tong's Ting's.

The Ting Ting's I've been getting into for a few months, and That's Not My Name would be pretty close to number one on my playlist. And after a friend reminded me of The Presets Talk Like That last Friday, I downloaded it, and i've been listening to it non-stop.

So, in an effort to broaden my horizons a little, and because I stopped listening to the radio about two years ago, I'm putting a call out for new songs. Especially with the running (Which resumes tomorrow after a four-day sickness induced hiatus), I need a bit of variety.

One stipulation: No Thrash, no Metallica, no Elvis or The Beatles and try and avoid the Easy-Listening genre' altogether. I'm looking for variety, not a slow, painful death.

3 comments:

peterm said...

I recommend Clare Bowditch, especially You Look So Good.

Enjoy.

John Surname said...

Moving Targets by Flo & Eddie. Awesome.

Leon Bertrand said...

With the Nietzsche look Surname has there, I'm sure he would also recommend some Wagner.