Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Muxtape sleeve notes

EC has commanded notes on our Muxtape selections.

And because I always do what people tell me, here are mine:

The Scale – Interpol

I didn’t want to put more than one song from any one artist, and I had a devil of a time choosing just one from Interpol. I saw the concert earlier this year, and it was awesome. The Scale is my favourite at the moment, but if you’d asked me two weeks ago, it would have been Take You on a Cruise. Next week, who knows?

Plus, it’s a little more jangly than Take You on a Cruise, and there’s quite a few slow songs in here, so I thought I’d mix it up a bit.

Comin’ up From Behind – Marcy Playground

The only way I know how to describe this song is sinuous and slinky. It basically mugs you. You listen to it once and don’t quite hear what the fuss is. Then, all of a sudden, you get it. It’s just, oh go and listen to it and you’ll know what I mean.

I Want You – Third Eye Blind

Again, I knew I needed a 3EB song in here, but I couldn’t decide which. The self-titled album this song comes to has been a frequent player in my CD player since I was fifteen, and I’ve had to replace it twice now. I have never managed to wear any other CD out. I Want You is a hybrid of love song, funeral dirge (an excerpt of lyrics? “Happenstance set the vibe that we are in. No apology because my urge is genuineand the mystery of your rhythm is so feminine” Or “The village church yard is filled with bones weeping in the grave. The silver lining of clouds shines on people jesus couldnt save”) Every time that album is on, I sing along to the lyrics without realising it. I drive people to distraction with it.

Secretly - Skunk Anansie

I had forgotten this song even existed until about two months ago when I found it on a CD of mp3’s. And it rocks. Soaring strings as per nineties requirements, awesome vocals, and pretty good lyrics. Actually, Skin’s voice is scarily good.

Get Off – Dandy Warhols

I’ve talked about this song before. It is excellent. It’s just fantastic. It’s the Dandy’s at their best. Protracted harmonies (And by that I mean harmonies coming in at the end of notes, not harmonies that go on for all time), Cowboy sound effects and horny lyrics. What more does a girl want?

Insomnia – Faithless

Faithless have always been a little hit and miss with me. The one with Robbie Williams that practically no-one outside the UK heard I thought was excellent, but I always forget the name. Plus, by the time this song gets to the “tearing off tights with my teeth” lyric, I’m hooked.

Cave – Muse

Have you ever liked a band long before you realise you like them? I found four separate copies of this song hanging around my CD collection in various guises, and on each I didn’t know who it was by, but loved the song. (On one it was labelled “Buggered if I know but excellent!!”) And I own three Muse CD’s besides that. I had no idea it was Muse. And now it seems fairly obvious. Muse before they got complicated (Not that complicated is bad)

Sexxlaws – Beck

This song is my “Year Twelve” song. It was played a lot whilst I was on Schoolies, as it was the one song a house full of completely different musical tastes could agree was awesome. Although it nearly made way for Fast as You Can by Fiona Apple.

Mope – Bloodhound Gang

It’s got Pacman high on crack. It’s got Homer shrieking “Holy Macaroni!” as the outro. It’s got the lines “Luciano Pavoratti on a treadmill. Not going nowhere slim chance we will”

In short, it’s the most fun you can have whilst listening to a song on headphones making sure that no-one else at work can hear you.

Restless – Lighthouse Family

The album Postcards from Heaven by the Lighthouse Family picked me up at the worst time of my life. It’s always got a soft spot in my life, but apart from that, it has some of the most simple, soulful songs you’re ever going to here. Restless is the stand out slightly ahead of the rest of the album, but it was a close thing.

The Other Side – David Gray

I don’t know what it is about this guy, but one of his songs is always on my most played list. This song is currently my most played, and it is awesome. The lyrics are stark, the piano - well, the word I think I’m looking for is baleful – if I listen to this song too much, I actually cry. No shit. I was half way through a post once about how sad I was for no reason two weeks ago before I realised I’d had this song on repeat for two hours. I turned it to a happier song and my mood shifted almost instantly.

Any song that can do that to a woman not prone to mood wings is great in my book. Not particularly great to be in your most played list, but great. Plus the lines “I know it would be outrageous/to come on all courageous/and offer you my hand/when all I got is sinking sand” Get me every time.

I think we’ve all been there.

Rush – Big Audio Dynamite


I have this on my computer, and I don’t know why. It’s also a favourite of my fathers, and we were talking about it about a month ago and it came on the radio whilst I was looking for a song to finish with.

And what better to finish with than a song that starts with “If I had my time again/I would do it all the same”?

8 comments:

Phoebe said...

A Comment-o-thon visitor: I like the diversity of your list. I'm sure I've heard some of these songs, but don't remember them. Links please!! What a nice way to end your list, with a Rush song. Those guys ROCK!

Phoebe said...

Whoops! My sleep deprived brain just fired, and I realized that the name of that last song was "Rush", not the band, LOL!!

candy said...

from ICLW.

great songs on this list. i LOVE david gray. that song gets me too.

www.candysland.wordpress.com

LisaS said...

this sounds good! I'll have to put it together (dunno if I have all the tracks, tho .... small problem!)

Happy ICLW!

Jane said...

The Bloodhound Gang is my default "I need to giggle" music. "The Bad Touch" can take me from a bad mood to laughing out loud before the 2nd verse.

EC said...

Thanks Keri. I'm looking forward to having a proper listen to everyone's tapes this weekend.

Work really gets in the way of my blogging activities.

Bron said...

Me too, going to listen to everyone's muxtape this weekend as well.

And hope that I get more fans. *sniffle*

Keri said...

Bron, don't beg. It's not attractive ;)

ICLW girls - thanks! It took me agea to put together. And everyone seems to find one song they love on it, which is good!