Friday, June 13, 2008

Freaks on a Friday

I’m not terribly superstitious, not by family standards anyway. My Grandmother would not have paintings of birds in the house. My mother still says “Morning Major” to lone magpies, won’t have new shoes on the table, puts coins in new purses given as gifts, and the list goes on.

But Friday the 13th does send a tiny thrill through my soul. Twice (Three times, technically, but I’m not counting the third), I’ve had relationships of varying lengths end on Friday the 13th. It’s not a good day for me, traditionally, but the same could be said of other days as well.

But I have superstitions. Before I ask for everyone else’s, here are some of mine. I’m not sure which are superstitions, and which are just weird things, but anyway:

* I like to eat food in even number. Like pasta. I like to eat it in bits of two’s or fours. Same with, say, Maltesers, or Biscuits.

* I don’t trust people with very thin lips. They look like they’re hiding something, to me. I take irrational dislikes to people if they have a name that I associate with someone unpleasant.

* I hate walking with someone on my right side. It makes me feel uncomfortable, and I have no idea why. I will walk single file behind someone if there’s no room on my left, which has led at least one person to say, “OCD” every time I swap sides. I don’t know where it came from, I don’t know when it started, but it’s just there. All I can think about when I’m walking on the “wrong” side of someone is getting on the “right” side. I don’t say anything, but people usually notice after a while.

* I have some kind of psychological block/mild allergy with eggs. I can eat them in things – like cake, or dough – if there’s not a lot of it, but if I can see it I try and remove it. Special Fried Rice I’ll filter for all the big bits I can get at. I don’t know how purely “in my head” the egg thing is, because I’ve reacted mildly to things I didn’t know had egg in it.

Bah. Superstitions, people. Help me feel less strange.

2 comments:

Krypto said...

actually it's been quite a good day, not too much bad luck at all.

Keri said...

Me either. No badness at all, so far.

Of course, now that I've said that, the next post will be announcing my death by misadventure.