Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Answering the big Questions

Search term used to find this blog:

“How do I tell my boyfriend that my parents have fixed me up with someone else?”

There are three ways I can answer this question:

1. Sarcastically
2. With Derision
3. Seriously


I’ll start with number three.

I’m assuming you are young, as I can’t see someone of a mature age letting their parents control their life to some extent. I am also assuming that you’re female. If not, kudos, at least to your parents, for taking an interest in your love life.

I can’t say I’ve ever faced this situation. My mother long ago gave up telling me what to do, and was absent from my life (and the hemisphere) for a good deal of my adolescence up until I was 22. My father, I think, would have different taste in men than I do. And if he doesn’t, I don’t think I’d want to know about it.

My advice would be this: Make up your own mind. Do you want to be set up with this new person? If so, a straight, direct approach will be best. Your boyfriend will probably be pretty pissed off at first, but if he’s got an ounce of sense in his head, he’ll realise he’s had a pretty lucky escape from commitment with someone whose parents make such choices.

If you don’t, and you want to keep seeing you boyfriend, you need to grow a pair. Whilst I’m sure your parents believe they are acting in your best interests, this is the one decision that I would not defer to their judgement. Unless you are giving them a list of desirable attributes in a prospective mate. If that’s the case, good luck to you.

Derision:

Seriously, what the hell? There is no way I would break up with someone to see someone who my parents had fixed me up with. You know why? Because I have a brain in my head and I like to use it for thinking – FOR MYSELF. By all means, if the relationship isn’t working, end it. But because your parents think they’ve found someone better suited?

Grow up.

Sarcasm:

“How do I tell my boyfriend that my parents have fixed me up with someone else?”

In words, you pillock.

No comments: