Monday, February 11, 2008

Seriously, I'm not a Matchbox 20 song.

Is there a rumour going around that I don’t sleep? That I’m some sort of vampire? How the hell do people out there know that I always leave my phone on at night and am unable to ignore it?

To get (almost) straight to the point, why in the name of all that is holy are people calling me in the fifteen minutes after 3am?

The first call came at 3.04am on Friday morning. There was some static, then someone asking if it was Keri. Yes, says I, and hang up. I firmly believe that there is a limited amount of patience in the world, and that I am allotted none of it at that time of the morning. I didn’t know who the caller was, and nor did I care. I wanted them to know that they had the right number, and that I didn't want to talk to them at that insane hour.

They called back. I was just drifting off to sleep and didn’t quite get the phone to my ear in time, so they got through to my voicemail. Being nosey as hell, I listened to the message straight away. It went along the lines of;-

“Hi it’s . Call me back on the mobile. It’s about ” or "Your place")

Dude. First, say your name in a manner where I can understand it, Secondly, if I don’t know who you are (And I definitely haven’t spoken to this person before. I would know the voice. Vaguely ethnic and very mouth-full-of-marbles. ) Then how the hell can I call you back when you didn’t leave your number? And I don’t have any current trouble with either the Police or my place.

Saturday night I was at my stepfather’s birthday party. I stayed the night, and my mobile battery ran out, as it is want to do after its trip to the bath a few months ago. I plug it into the charger and see I have a voicemail message.

It was received at 3.14am. From a totally different person. From a different number. And the message went along the lines of:-

“Hey. Get back to us. 04whatever. Thanks.”

No name left. The voice sounds very familiar. I know it, yet I can’t place it. I’d swear I’ve spoken to this person before, but I cannot for the life of me place the voice. I rang the number back, and got the “This Vodafone has incoming call restrictions try again later” spiel.

It’s driving me round the bend. The first caller I’m assuming is someone I have met at some stage and has somehow gotten my name and number. There’s no mystery there. The second call is the one that bugs me.

Who is it? I know the voice, I’m sure I do. I just can’t place it. My full name is on my voicemail message, so it’s unlikely to be a wrong number. But presumably I know this person well enough that they don’t think to leave their name when they call me. I’ve racked my brains and I’m coming up with nothing.

There are only two possible solutions, apart from co-incidence. The first is that someone I know has lost his or her mobile. Then the person who finds it starts ringing numbers in the phone. Then the person who lost it puts call restrictions on the phone.

The second is that I’ve pissed someone off and they are getting different people to ring me at stupid hours of the morning. But who that I know has that much time and that little imagination?

So, people who read this blog, are you then one that calls me at 3am and knows me well enough to not leave a name but have to leave your number? And if you are, can you call me back (At a more reasonable time) and put me out of my misery?

No comments: