Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy I'm-not-bitter-I-swear Day!

Some people think Valentines Day is a crock. They think it’s a commercial event orchestrated to make us spend as much as possible. Some think it’s a romantic day where you get to show your love to your partner.

I’m somewhere in the middle. I know for some it’s about spending as much money as possible and that bit I can do without. Something small would do me. It’s not about how much you spend; it’s about the effort you put in.

I like getting presents. I like getting them from someone I care about. I love shopping for other people. I love the fact that I can shop guilt free. I love that feeling when you give someone a present. And, frankly, I like having the excuse for it. That’s not terribly romantic, but it’s the way I am.

On the other hand, when The Boy and I first started going out, he used to send me bouquets of Roses when I was least expecting them. And I loved that far more. The fact that he had gone out of his way to do so meant more to me.

This year is the first year in four that I won’t have someone to buy for. That actually struck me far more forcibly than the fact that no one will get me anything. And it struck me even more forcibly that I don’t actually care. I don’t care that there will be no knock on the door. I don’t care that if I buy something this year, it will be for myself. Actually, the idea actually appeals to me. I like the idea of not having to worry about it.


And as I finished that sentence, a friend sent me an e-mail wishing me a happy Valentines Day. And what more could a girl want? A message of love from someone who doesn’t have to say it, but wants to anyway.

Happy Valentines Day to all those who love it, and Happy Thursday to those who don't.

No comments: