Monday, January 14, 2008

I Am Legend

I have to confess I wasn’t expecting a huge amount from this movie. I was expecting fun. I was expecting action. I was expecting entertainment. What more can you really ask from a Zombie movie?

For me, the zombie genre’ reached it’s peak with Shaun of the Dead. And I know it’s technically a comedy, but nothing is going to top seeing a zombie whacked over the head with a pool cue to the tune of Queen’s “Don’t stop me now” Ever.

I Am Legend is two things, really. Firstly, it’s a showpiece for Will Smith’s acting skills. The only things he can play off in the first three quarters of this movie are a dog and some mannequins. Which he does, to his credit. Very well, I might add.

Secondly, it’s a movie that can’t quite make up its mind. Is this an action movie? A movie with a message? A cautionary tale of messing with nature? I left having no idea. Then again, as I keep telling myself, it’s a zombie movie. And it’s designed to entertain. Am I supposed to be thinking this much about it? Or am I just supposed to be enjoying it without any analysis?

I decided to just take it on face value, accept it for what it was, and not look into it too deeply. In which case, my review is as follows:-

Not a date movie. Unless you subscribe to the “If she/he jumps it’ll be into my arms” school. Will Smith acts his socks off. Good Friday night chill movie.

7 comments:

John Surname said...

I am puzzling over whether to see this. Two friends say "yes", two say "no". I'm not sure about shelling out $15 for something I might not like. Let's just call this the "Hairspray Effect".

Keri said...

Well, I didn't pay, so it didn't bother me too much.

Hairspray? Haven't seen it so I can't comment. Well, it's a damn sight better than going to see 27 dresses, surely?

Evan said...

Hey, it was a boring Will Smith movie that got me where I am today...

Keri said...

Care to elaborate, Evan?

Evan said...

Yeah, why not. I went into "I, Robot" with a friend, both me & her single, and now we're engaged. =D

Keri said...

Evan! That's fantastic! Congratulations! Exclamation mark!

Is this the same person you were seeing around the time I started seeing the Boy and you were all schmoopy with?

Evan said...

Yep! And the schmoopiness still knows no bounds!