Tuesday, December 11, 2007

21-26 Fine. It's a list of my 100 favourite books. Sheesh.

21. Moab is my washpot – Stephen Fry – If you don’t know enough about Stephen Fry – and trust me, you never do – get this book. His turn of phrase is delightful, and it isn’t the usual celebrity crap – there’s a stint in jail, but no bravado about it. There’s crime, but there’s no boasting.


22. Further Adventures of a London Call-Girl – Belle De Jour – If you haven’t checked out Belle De Jour’s blog, I’d highly recommend it. But the book? The book is fantastic. It’s well written, funny, and a glimpse into a world we’d all secretly hoped existed.


23. The Pythons by The Pythons – This is probably one of the more honest autobiographies you’ll read. It’s also - as you’d expect from a troupe of performers who turned the comedy and Art world on its head – hilarious, bizarre, insane and uplifting in equal parts.


24. Home Truths – Freya North – Freya has written three novels about three sisters – Pip, Cat and Fen. And it isn’t your usual chick lit, either. If you like your sex scenes explicit (and involving a clown, in one case), Home Truths is the follow on from the three books about the sisters that brings them all together, and then scatters them to the four winds.

25. Artemis Fowl - Eoin Colfer - I know it's supposed to be a Childrens novel, but so is Winnie the Pooh, so shut up. The Artemis Fowl books are fantastic in a similar way to Harry Potter, but they are just that little bit smarter.

26. Undomestic Goddess - Sophie Kinsella - Not exactly being a domestic goddess myself, I had a feeling I would love this book, and I did. It's well written, and not your usual pap. It's got a main character who is both brainy and clueless, without being ditzy, and without the situations becoming ludicrous.

That's all I've got time for now. More tomorrow if I get a chance.

Oh, and off to see Burlesque Hour at the Speigeltent tonight with B. Should be interesting!

No comments: