Friday, December 07, 2007

14-21. Look further down the page if you don't know what this is all about.

14. Post Mortem – Ben Elton – It’s hard to choose between Ben Elton’s novels, and I’m sure more than one will make the list, but I chose this one in this spot mainly because it’s so different to his other novels, and is a great crime/mystery novel. I never would have guessed the ending, in a million years. Plus, it’s engrossing, and some of the situations are those we could all find ourselves in.

15. A Big Boy Did it and Ran away – Christopher Brookmyre – If you haven’t read any of his books (And they all have long titles) then do yourself a favour and go and get one now. Don’t be put off by the Scottish colloquialisms, either. There’s a glossary at the back. This book stunned me; mainly because I got it cheap and thought it would be crap. I wonder how many other great books I’ve shunned because of the price tag?

16. Is there anybody out There? – Marian Keyes – I don’t approve of people who think that chick lit can have no merit – and Marian Keyes is the perfect example. Of her books, one focuses on drug addiction, another on cancer, another on infidelity and single parenting and another on Depression. Show me a crime novel that does that. Is there anybody out there? Focuses on Grief and how we deal with it.


17. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams – What a great loss to lose Douglas so young. His books were completely different from anything else I have ever read, and you couldn’t help but suspend disbelief for the period you were reading.


18. The Hobbit – J.R.R Tolkein – I like books that create a world around me. Books are something I dip into when I want to tune out. And J.R.R Tolkein set the way for so many before him.


19. Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens – For me, Dickens was not just a social commentator, he was one of the finest exponents of character work I’ve ever read. And his storytelling doesn’t suffer for it, which is rare.


20. Little Women – Louisa May Alcott – Oh, Beth. Just when we thought you were out of the woods, you pop your little clogs. Has anyone been able to read this and not cry?


21. Jessica – Bryce Courtney – Oh Bryce. I know there really wasn’t any other way to end the book, and if you’d softened the blow it would have defeated the purpose of showing what a harsh place the bush could be, but again with the tears!

That’s all for today. I’ll post another ten or so on Monday.

No comments: